in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (tuh tit' leck)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Tatitlek is located on the northeast shore of Tatitlek Narrows, on the Alaska Mainland in Prince William Sound. It lies near Bligh Island, southwest of Valdez by sea and 30 air miles northwest of Cordova.
- Winter temperatures range from 17 to 28 °F; summers average 49 to 63 °F. Annual precipitation averages 28 inches of rain and 150 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- It is an Alutiiq village first reported in the 1880 U.S. Census as "Tatikhlek," with a population of 73. The present spelling was published in 1910 by the U.S. Geological Survey, which wrote that the village originally stood at the head of Gladhaugh Bay but was moved to its present site in the shadow of Copper Mountain around 1900. A post office was established in 1946. Many residents of Chenega moved to Tatitlek following its destruction by tsunami after the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake. The dominant feature in the village is the blue-domed Russian Orthodox church.
- Tatitlek is a coastal Alutiiq village with a fishing- and subsistence-based culture.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Tatitlek
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Tatitlek has a state-owned gravel airstrip and a seaplane landing area; air charters are available from Valdez and Cordova. Boats are the primary means of local transportation. In 1996, the Alaska Marine Highway began 'whistle stop' service. After a short charter flight, direct commercial service is available to Anchorage from Valdez and Cordova.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District