2nd Class City
in the Nome Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (steb' inz)
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
- Cape Nome
Facilities and Amenities
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Washeteria, Electric (AVEC), Refuse Plywood Bins, Landfill, Health Clinic, Police, Airport (State Contract), City Hall, Roads, Pull Tabs, Building Rentals, Equipment Rentals, Honeybucket Bins, Watering Point
Geography and Climate
- Stebbins is located on the northwest coast of St. Michael Island, on Norton Sound. It lies 8 miles north of St. Michael and 120 miles southeast of Nome.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
- There is a subarctic climate with a maritime influence during the summer. Norton Sound is ice-free from June to November, but clouds and fog are common. Average summer temperatures are 40 to 60 °F; winter temperatures range from -4 to 16 °F. Extremes have been measured from -55 to 77 °F. Annual precipitation averages 12 inches, with 38 inches of snowfall.
History and Culture
- Redoubt St. Michael was built at nearby St. Michael by the Russian-American Company in 1833. The Eskimo village of "Atroik" or "Atowak" was recorded north of here in 1898 by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. The Yup'ik name for the village is "Tapraq," and the name Stebbins was first recorded in 1900. The first U.S. Census occurred in 1950, indicating 80 Yup'ik Eskimos. The city government was incorporated in 1969.
- It is a Yup'ik Eskimo village with a commercial fishing and subsistence lifestyle.
- Indigenous Language
- Central Yup'ik
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Stebbins Community Association
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
- Incorporation Type
- 2nd Class City
- Public Education
- Not permitted to provide this service.
- Planning, Platting and Land Use Regulation
- Not required to exercise the powers in any circumstance, but may be permitted in all cases in the manner described for first class cities.
- Property Tax Powers
- May tax up to 20 mills, except where a higher levy is required to avoid default. Voter approval required.
- Sales Tax Powers
- No limit on the rate of levy of sales taxes; however, voter approval is required.
- Other Powers Not Prohibited
- May exercise other powers not prohibited by law.
- City Council or Assembly Composition and Apportionment
- 7 members elected at-large, except the council may provide for election other than at-large.
- Election and Term of Mayor
- Elected from the city council for a 1-year term, unless a longer term is provided by ordinance. Mayor selected by council (or by voters upon adoption of ordinance).
- Vote by Mayor
- Votes on all matters.
- Veto Power of the Mayor
- Does not have veto power.
- Power of Eminent Domain
- Permitted, but requires voter approval.
- Ability to Attain Home-Rule Status
- May not adopt home-rule charter without first reclassifying to a first-class city.
- Stebbins is accessible by air and sea. There is a state-owned gravel runway. Regular flights, charters, and freight services are available from Bethel. A cargo ship brings supplies annually. There is no dock, and goods must be lightered out of Nome. Overland travel in the winter is by snow machine.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection