in the Aleutians West Census Area
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Population Comment
- No population data available
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (sheem' yuh)
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
Geography and Climate
- Earekson Air Force Station, or Shemya Station, is located on Shemya Island on the western end of the Aleutian Chain.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The little island of Shemya, near Attu at the western end of the Aleutians, is home to Earekson Air Station. Military forces first came to the once uninhabited island on May 23, 1943. Air force activities here were reduced after World War II, but the location provided an ideal refueling stop for air force planes, so the base is still operational to this day.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- Gallon of Heating Fuel
- Gallon of Gasoline
- A United States Air Force radar, surveillance, and weather station and aircraft refueling station are in operation.