in the Lake and Peninsula Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (chig' nick)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Aleutian Islands
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Chignik Lake is located on the south side of the Alaska Peninsula next to the body of water of the same name. It lies 13 miles from Chignik, 265 miles southwest of Kodiak, and 474 miles southwest of Anchorage.
- The maritime climate of Chignik Lake is characterized by cool summers and relatively warm, rainy winters. Summer temperatures range from 39 to 60 °F. Winter temperatures range from 21 to 50 °F. Extreme temperatures, ranging from a low of -12 to a high of 76 °F, have been recorded. Precipitation averages 127 inches annually, with an average annual snowfall of 58 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The present population traces its roots from the Alutiiq near Illnik and the old village of Kanatag near Becharof Lake. The community was the winter residence of a single family in 1903. Other families moved from surrounding communities in the early 1950s when a school was built.
- Chignik Lake is a predominantly Alutiiq fishing village.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Chignik Lake Village
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Chignik Lake is primarily accessible by air. There is a state-owned gravel airstrip; seaplanes may land at Chignik Lagoon. Regularly-scheduled and charter flights are provided. Goods are lightered, weekly during the summer and monthly during winter, to the lake via Chignik Lagoon and are then transported over land. The state ferry provides service to Chignik Lagoon four times per year. There is no harbor, dock, barge access, or boat haul-outs. Skiffs and ATVs are the primary means of local transportation. There is a strong regional interest in constructing roads between Chignik, Chignik Lagoon, Chignik Lake, and the city landfill.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District