in the Bethel Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (at mau' lu ak)
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Fisheries Participation and Earnings
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CDQ Participant
- CQE Eligible
- Salmon, Estimated Earnings ($)
- Salmon, Total Landed (Lbs.)
- All Fisheries, Estimated Earnings ($)
- All Fisheries, Total Landed (Lbs.)
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Atmautluak lies on the west bank of the Pitmiktakik River in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta, 20 miles northwest of Bethel.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
- The area averages 16 inches of precipitation, with snowfall of 50 inches. Summer temperatures range from 62 to 42 °F. Winter temperatures range from 19 to -2 °F.
History and Culture
- Yup'ik Eskimos have inhabited this region for thousands of years due to the area's rich resources; however, Atmautluak itself was not settled until the 1960s. People moved to this site on higher ground to avoid flooding and for the rich resources of the area. A city was incorporated in 1976, but it was dissolved on Feb. 7, 1996, in favor of the traditional village council government.
- Atmautluak is a traditional Yup'ik Eskimo village with a subsistence and fishing lifestyle.
- Indigenous Language
- Central Yup'ik
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Village of Atmautluak
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale and importation of alcohol.
- A state-owned gravel airstrip is available for chartered or private planes year-round. Locals use skiffs in the summer to travel to Bethel and other area villages, and snow machines, ATVs, and dog sleds are used in the winter. A winter trail exists to Nunapitchuk (7.0 mi).
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection