in the Denali Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (muh kin' lee); includes Denali Park entrance
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Fisheries Participation and Earnings
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- McKinley Park is on the George Parks Highway at the entrance to Denali National Park. The park is home to Mount McKinley or Denali, as it known by Alaskans. At 20,320 feet, it is the highest mountain on the North American continent.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
- McKinley Park lies in the continental climate zone, characterized by about 20 inches of average annual precipitation and an average temperature of about 22 °F. Temperature extremes are greater in the Continental zone than in the other climatic zones. The coldest month in 2013 was December, with a mean minimum temperature of -6.3 °F. The warmest month was June, with a mean maximum temperature of 71.8 °F. Ice fog is common during the winter.
- Weather Station Name
- Mckinley Park
- Max. Daily Precipitation (Inches)
- Total Precipitation (Inches)
- Max. Measured Snow Depth (Inches)
- Total Snowfall (Inches)
- Max. Daily Temperature (°F)
- Min. Daily Temperature (°F)
History and Culture
- The community has developed around Park Service employment and tourism-related facilities. "Denali" means "the high one" in Athabascan. In 1896 the mountain was named for William McKinley of Ohio, who was the Republican candidate for president. In 1975 the State of Alaska officially renamed the mountain Denali, and the state Geographic Names Board also claims the proper name for the mountain is Denali. However, the federal Board of Geographic Names still recognizes the name Mount McKinley.
- McKinley Park is primarily a seasonal community. During the summer, the population booms to serve tourists, although a few live there year-round. The Denali Park is open year-round, although the bus service within the park operates only from late May to mid-September. The hotel and most visitor services at McKinley Park are closed during winter months. They have a community association and a fire hall.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- McKinley Park is located on the George Parks Highway about 20 miles south of Healy. McKinley park has two airports, a state-maintained public airport with a gravel runway in good condition and a private airport with a gravel runway. Chartered bus tours are available from Anchorage and Fairbanks, and shuttle buses provide tours into the park. Air and helicopter tours are also available locally.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection