in the Denali Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (muh kin' lee); includes Denali Park entrance
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- McKinley Park is on the George Parks Highway at the entrance to Denali National Park. The park is home to Mount McKinley or Denali, as it known by Alaskans. At 20,320 feet, it is the highest mountain on the North American continent.
- Interior Alaska experiences seasonal temperature extremes. January temperatures range from -22 to -2 °F; July temperatures range from 50 to 72 °F. Average annual precipitation is 11 inches. Ice fog is common during the winter.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The community has developed around Park Service employment and tourism-related facilities. "Denali" means "the high one" in Athabascan. In 1896 the mountain was named for William McKinley of Ohio, who was the Republican candidate for president. In 1975 the State of Alaska officially renamed the mountain Denali, and the state Geographic Names Board also claims the proper name for the mountain is Denali. However, the federal Board of Geographic Names still recognizes the name Mount McKinley.
- McKinley Park is primarily a seasonal community. During the summer, the population booms to serve tourists, although a few live there year-round. The Denali Park is open year-round, although the bus service within the park operates only from late May to mid-September. The hotel and most visitor services at McKinley Park are closed during winter months. They have a community association and a fire hall.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- McKinley Park is located on the George Parks Highway about 20 miles south of Healy. McKinley park has two airports, a state-maintained public airport with a gravel runway in good condition and a private airport with a gravel runway. Chartered bus tours are available from Anchorage and Fairbanks, and shuttle buses provide tours into the park. Air and helicopter tours are also available locally.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District