2nd Class City
in the Wade Hampton Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (ee mahn' nuck)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Emmonak is located at the mouth of the Yukon River, 10 miles from the Bering Sea, on the north bank of Kwiguk Pass. It lies 120 air miles northwest of Bethel and 490 air miles from Anchorage, in the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge.
- A maritime climate predominates in Emmonak. Temperatures range from -25 to 79 °F. Precipitation averages 19 inches per year, while snowfall averages 50 to 60 inches per year. Freeze-up occurs during October; break-up occurs in June.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The village was originally called "Kwiguk," a Yup'ik word meaning "big stream." Villagers call themselves "Kuigpagmuit" or "people from the Yukon River." It has also been called "Emanguk" by the Census Bureau. The original settlement was 1.4 miles south of its present location and was first reported by the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in 1899. A post office was established there in 1920. Later, commercial fishing became a major industry in the village, and the Northern Commercial Company built a cannery. In 1964, the cannery was washed away by floods. That same year, the city government was incorporated. Due to increasing flooding and erosion, the village was relocated 1.4 miles north of Kwiguk in 1964-65. The new location was renamed Emmonak, which means "blackfish."
- Emmonak is a Yup'ik Eskimo village involved in commercial fishing, processing, and subsistence activities. Residents of Chuloonawick, a nearby fish camp, also live in Emmonak.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Emmonak Village
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Piped Water, Piped Sewer, Washeteria/Sauna, Electric (AVEC), Landfill, Health Clinic, Police Department, Jail, Fire/EMS/Ambulance, Fire House, Head StartBuilding, Dance Hall, Women's Shelter, Dock (Lease), Airport maintenance (State contract), Planning, Public Works Shop, Hotel, Restaurant, Bingo/Pull Tabs
- Emmonak relies on air and water transportation. A state-owned gravel airstrip is available. There are no connecting roads, but winter trails to Kotlik, Alakanuk, and Nunam Iqua are used by snow machines. Skiffs and ATVs are using during the summer for local transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District