1st Class City
in the Aleutians East Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- a.k.a. Qagun Tayagungin
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
- Aleutian Islands
Facilities and Amenities
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Watering Point, Washeteria, Electric, Landfill, Health Clinic, Volunteer Fire/Rescue/Ambulance, Public Safety Facility, Fire Hall, Community Hall, Teen Center, Library, Roads,
Geography and Climate
History and Culture
- Sand Point was founded in 1898 by a San Francisco fishing company as a trading post and cod-fishing station. Aleuts from surrounding villages and Scandinavian fishermen were the first residents of the community. Sand Point served as a repair and supply center for gold mining during the early 1900s, but fish processing became the dominant activity in the 1930s. The St. Nicholas Chapel, a Russian Orthodox church, was built in 1933 and is now on the National Register of Historical Places. Aleutian Cold Storage built a halibut plant in 1946. Today, it is home to the largest fishing fleet in the Aleutian Chain. The city government was incorporated in 1966.
- Sand Point is characterized as self-sufficient and progressive, with commercial fishing activities at the heart of the local culture. There is a large transient population for fishing and cannery work. Many of the shareholders of Pauloff Harbor and Unga now live in Sand Point.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Unga
- Incorporation Type
- 1st Class City
- Public Education
- Not permitted to provide this service.
- Planning, Platting and Land Use Regulation
- May be permitted to exercise the powers in accordance with AS 29.40.
- Property Tax Powers
- May tax up to 30 mills, except where a higher levy is necessary to avoid default on debt. Voter approval is not required under State law; however, stricter limitations can be imposed at the local level.
- Sales Tax Powers
- No limit on the rate of levy of sales taxes, but voter approval is required.
- Other Powers Not Prohibited
- May exercise other powers not prohibited by law.
- City Council or Assembly Composition and Apportionment
- 6 members elected at-large, except the council may provide for election other than at-large.
- Election and Term of Mayor
- Elected at large for a 3-year term, unless a different term not to exceed 4 years is provided by ordinance.
- Vote by Mayor
- May vote to break a tie vote on the city council.
- Veto Power of the Mayor
- Has veto power, except veto is not permitted of ordinance prohibiting posession of alcohol.
- Power of Eminent Domain
- Permitted by statute.
- Ability to Attain Home-Rule Status
- Voters may adopt home-rule charter.
- Sand Point has a state-owned airport with a asphalt runway. Direct flights to Anchorage are available. Marine facilities include a 25-acre boat harbor with four docks, 134 boat slips, a harbormaster office, barge off-loading area, and a 150-ton lift. Regular barge services supply the community. The state ferry operates between Sand Point and Unalaska, Akutan, False Pass, Cold Bay, and King Cove between May and October.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection