in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (pack' sun)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Paxson lies on Paxson Lake, at mile 185 of the Richardson Highway, at its intersection with the Denali Highway. It is south of Delta Junction and 62 miles north of Gulkana.
- Interior Alaska experiences seasonal temperature extremes. January temperatures average from -22 to -2 °F; July temperatures average 50 to 72 °F. Annual precipitation averages 11 inches.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- More than 400 archeological sites indicate that this area has been inhabited for at least 10,000 years. In 1906 Alvin Paxson established the Timberline Roadhouse, which consisted of a small cabin for a kitchen and two tents for bunkhouses, at mile 192. His cook, Charles Meier, later started Meier's Roadhouse at mile 174. Paxson then built a two-story roadhouse at mile 191. He later added a barn with a drying room, a pump, sleeping quarters, two rooms, and a bath. A post office, store, wood house, and small ice room followed. The Denali Highway was built in the 1950s from Paxson to Cantwell and the Denali National Park. The 160-mile gravel road was the only access into the park prior to construction of the George Parks Highway. The Denali Highway also provides access to the Tangle Lakes Recreation Area, Summit Lake, and the largest active gold mine in Alaska.
- The primary residents of Paxson are state highway maintenance personnel and their families. There is no local school. It is a non-Native community.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- Paxson Lodge owns and maintains a gravel airstrip, and float planes can land at Summit Lake. Paxson is 175 miles south of Fairbanks. The Richardson Highway provides access to Anchorage or Fairbanks. The Denali Highway provides summer access to Cantwell and the Denali Park.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District