in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Meadow Lakes lies between the Little Susitna River and the Alaska Railroad, off of the George Parks Highway. It is west of Wasilla, continuing east and northeast of Houston. It is accessed by Pittman Road, Church Road, and Schrock Road. It is approximately 45 miles from Anchorage.
- Community Map Available
History and Culture
- The area has served as a transportation corridor since around 1906, when the Carle Wagon Road, the first of the trails leading out of Knik to the gold mines in the Willow Creek Mining District, was constructed. This is now the Wasilla-Fishhook Road. In 1917, Pittman was established on the Alaska Railroad at mile 166.5, and a water station was added in 1920. The local name was first reported in 1942 by AMS. Homesteaders settled the area after World War II, and the area continued to develop after a Department of Natural Resources land disposal during the mid-1960s. The George Parks Highway was completed in 1971. Low housing costs, the semi-rural lifestyle, and employment in Palmer, Wasilla, and Anchorage have supported growth in the Mat-Su Valley.
- Meadow Lakes is a large settlement north of Wasilla. Students are bused to Wasilla, Big Lake, and Houston.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- The area is connected to the statewide highway system via the George Parks Highway. Nearby Palmer, Wasilla, and Anchorage offer air services. A turf runway can be used in the summer time only.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection