in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (gull kann' uh)
- Community's Judicial District
- Recording District
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Geography and Climate
- Gulkana is located on the east bank of the Gulkana (Kulkana) River at its confluence with the Copper River. It lies at mile 127 of the Richardson Highway, 14 miles north of Glennallen.
- Gulkana is located in the continental climate zone, with long, cold winters and relatively warm summers. Temperature extremes range from -65 to 91 °F. Annual snowfall averages 47 inches, with 11 inches of precipitation.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The Ahtna people have occupied this area for 5,000 to 7,000 years. Gulkana was originally established in 1903 as a telegraph station and was named "Kulkana" after the nearby river. The Gulkana Roadhouse was built in the early 1900s by C.L. Hoyt, a fur dealer who ran the roadhouse until 1916. A store, post office, and stage station were located nearby. Gulkana was originally located across the river from its present site; it was cut in half by construction of the Richardson Highway during World War II. In the early 1950s, the first house was built at the new site. Chief Ewan and his family were the first Native residents, and eventually all of the villagers relocated.
- Gulkana is an Athabascan village. Subsistence activities supplement incomes.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Gulkana Village
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
Facilities, Utilities, and Health Care
- The Richardson Highway passes close by the village and is maintained year-round. Gulkana is 191 miles east of Anchorage. A state-owned asphalt runway is available at the Gulkana Airport.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection
- Community's Senate District
- Community's House District